Sunday, July 11, 2010

2nd part of Week Word

Just wanted to make sure I didn't forget one the other definitions of the word "flavor" that I find extremely intriguing. Now I'm an educator in the sciences, but quarks were still an extreme theory of particle theory in atomic physics when I took classes not really all that long ago. They are an elemental particle that make up larger particles of matter that most of us are generally more familiar with like neutrons, protons, and electrons-the components of an atom. There is a lot more detail to all this, but in essence, matter must have mass and take up space, so the smallest particle of matter must inevitably also have these same properties. Quarks have these properties as well as exhibit a gravitational force, carry an electromagnetic charge, and even have flavors! The flavors are up, down, top, bottom, charm, and strange. Seriously, the minutest particles of matter that make up the universe as we understand it have components labeled charm and strange :)


There you have it ladies and gents, my science lesson for the day about flavors of subatomic particles brought to you by the letters C for charm and S for strange :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by and taking the time to write a comment for me, I LOVE comments! I will do my very best to respond quickly and appreciate this wonderful community of good souls. Wishing you joy and blessings in the small things.