Morning ladies and gents,
So I'm on this little kick of weekwords since I started with Aimee over at Artsyville last week and decided to keep the fun going and enjoy new creative women out there, starting with Peggy Fussell who chose "numbers" as the word for this week. I spend all day looking at numbers.
Budget numbers
Phone numbers
Calculation numbers
Catalog numbers
Microbial plate count numbers
NFPA fire code numbers
CAS numbers on chemical bottles
Dates on a calendar numbers
Student enrollment numbers
Lab section numbers
U2 and Mary G. Blige - "One"
How much? How many?
Do we have enough? Yes, I think
we should have plenty.
It's the questions I can't answer
about Numbers that
cause the most grief,
How long will he last?
How many apologies will suffice before
forgiveness feels complete
I don't wear a watch
in the hopes that I can
avoid the Numbers that
threaten to ruin my childhood plans
Metallica's "One"-they're kinda nutty about sharing their music online so no embedding allowed, but it's an amazing song. I'm not a Metallica fan generally, but there is a eerie quality to this song that is hard for me to ignore. The video plays clips from Johnny Got His Gun which is in my Top 3 list of books of all times to read. It's a song, video, movie, and book that remind me that I am not alone in this world and that I have so much to be appreciative of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw
And finally, I thought I'd share a much calmer, but no less somber "One" song from Aimee Mann. This video is from the movie Magnolia
Thanks for the fun Peggy-great choice! Go visit the other participants and have a great weekend!
Oh, fun! I reference "One" too, but Three Dog Night offers my linked version... I have never heard another singer do it, so thanks for the Aimee Mann version!
ReplyDeleteGreat number sightings! Today I saw bar code numbers, credit cards numbers, number charts (at the eye doctor). Love your take.
ReplyDeleteWow coincidence!! It has been countless years since I've thought of the song One! And now twice in an evening! These are all great number references. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteAMAZING post! the players this week are "so creative"... I had a hard time with "number" (as a word & making a number selection) - I guess I think in words or colors...
ReplyDeleteOh, great post on "Number." I especially liked "How many apologies will suffice before
ReplyDeleteforgiveness feels complete?" Been there. So glad you are playing along with us now.
this has been the most interesting weekword by far - there are so many ways to interpret it, and it made me realize how nearly everything is tied to numbers in some way!
ReplyDeleteah! i just saw this a tad late! i love your take! how often we forget music when we think art.
ReplyDelete