Friday, October 29, 2010

Weekword=Eldritch via Katy

I am going to work on having more time this evening to add to this because I am really in love with Katy's choice for a word this week, but I'm stuck at non-eerie, weird, or spooky work right now :)  In the meantime, I'll just lay out a little compilation of eldritch-worthy subjects and see what you think.




These pictures are from the Kostnice Ossuary in Prague where over 40,000 human skeletal remains were used to construct this baroque styled piece of artistry by a Czech wood-carver in 1870. There is something melancholic about the presentation of human remains in this fashion, yet people construct churches for the very purpose of reciting devotions to a Higher Power in an effort to understand death more (or to rise above it I suppose). It's beautiful and corporeal and awe-inspiring in it's openness to the finiteness of our mortal shell, but eerie and uncomfortable and queer...exactly what I thought of for eldritch! Please visit other participants this week at Katy's place, and Happy Friday all!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Definately different...............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and VERY eldritch!

    Happy Birthday to you as well! Halloween birthday girls are a rarity and a little eldritch ourselves. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brings back memories of our visit in 2007... beautiful, calming place with a positive energy. Thanks for jogging my memories!
    Posted my interpretation late - will post the new WEEKWORD tomorrow (SUNDAY)... please feel free to invite other bloggers to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited this place in the summer, and eerie is not the word! It was kind of disturbing to think that all those bones had been walking, talking people at some point.

    Very eldritch indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these pictures are incredible! what amazing detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I've always wanted to go to an ossuary, wish I'd known about it when I was last in Prague!

    Amazing photos..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could take credit for these gorgeous pictures and I REALLY should have been a good girl and linked to and given credit to the sites I found them on. Naughty me :( Isn't it an amazing place though? I mean creepy and really starkly mortal, but so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lesson in being not so much in a hurry that I don't site and give credit where and when I can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and taking the time to write a comment for me, I LOVE comments! I will do my very best to respond quickly and appreciate this wonderful community of good souls. Wishing you joy and blessings in the small things.