Saturday, January 15, 2011

Weekword=Recycling via Elisabeth

My weekword is late as usual :)

I'm really such a fan of recycling-conceptually and practically in a wide range of arenas, including the obvious use for helping reduce the amount of garbage put into landfills. So keeping in mind my science nerdiness, I thought I would cover two parts of recycling that stand out most for me.

First off, recycling plastics seems for the most part, a fairly easy process to work through and seems simple enough to keep up with. You look at the container, make sure that the recycling label is there, toss it in your recycling can when you're done with it, and you're doing your part for the environment, right?

Not so easy I'm afraid. Plastic islands are a real thing floating along in our oceans.
BPA is leaching from plastic bottles into the environment, and into our bodies, including children.
BPA has been tested quite heavily on animals in labs with terrible results, and is linked to changing the sex of amphibious species.
Wild animals by the hundreds of thousands are dying every year from eating plastic and feeding it inadvertently to their offspring.
The amount of waste we (humans) produce is unbelievable, and recycling aluminum, paper, plastic does not mean it goes away.

Quick perspective fact: 2 million plastic water bottles are used in the U.S. every 5 minutes.

The movie Tapped covers the impact the bottled water industry makes on our environment, our health, and human rights in developing companies. It's free to watch on Hulu and you can instant queue it on Netflix. It's informative, thought provoking, full of relevant information for day to day life, and a life lesson we all need.




This is a wonderful wonderful video from TED:


Please watch these videos. 
As hard as it is to see-we can change this, every single one of us, everyday.

You can find more information by looking up The Great Garbage Patch.

This is the Kaisei Project-I was able to attend several lectures from the researchers from Scripps here in CA who participated in this voyage and research. It's really so important for us all to be informed so we can make good decisions for our future.


Project Kaisei  North Pacific Gyre
Uploaded by anniecrawley. - Watch feature films and entire TV shows.



Okay, and now for a more creative idea of recycling...






These mushrooms are visitors outside of my office door on the college campus I work on, and fun guy (fungi hehehee) friends to hang out and look at while walking the puppy. They also happen to be a super cool example of natural recyclers! Mushrooms, in particular the mycelium that compose them, recycle a huge amount of organic nutrients in the soil as well as carbon and nitrogen. They aid in the decomposition of organic matter like dead animals and plants, can be ground down to be used as natural insecticide, and have been shown to be able to break down chemical waste and oil in bioremediation efforts. So dance in a fairy ring when you are lucky enough to see one and thank those happy little mushrooms for helping us work on our recycling efforts!






P.S. Out here in California, we are so good at recycling, we decided to even recycle our governor :)

Please go visit Elisabeth and the other bloggers who participated this week, and have a great Saturday!!
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. I had seen several things on the floating trash problem we are having. Last week I was watching the Discovery channel and the coast guard found a turtle almost dead out in the water that they rushed to the turtle hospital and it was sick from having swallowed plastic. Luckily she healed and was released back into the water. It was so heartwarming. Sorry - I needed to share a feel good story before I cried from all the sadness of what we have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Juney, I'm so glad you shared a happy story. There are a lot out there and it's truly such a wonder to me that the human heart can feel such compassion and understanding for something that is not in any way related to us, I just think too often the problems we create as a population are often times from ignorance more than anything. I hated putting this post out because all this stuff makes me so sad and really depressed, but I keep trying to tell myself that if we all just share our knowledge, and keep learning, even the ugly stuff, that we'll find a way to bring change into being. Thank you for writing and reading and staying with me on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some of these images are sad and some are full of hope. This is something we all need to get much better at. Thanks for reminding us.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. My promise for this new year will be to recycle more. Find out more handicraft I could produce from trash. Not buying stuff which are packaged. Always ask myself: could I recycle this in any way?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carmen -
    I try my best not to buy things in plastic just for this very reason. When we lived in California a long time ago we were first introduced to recycling. At that time we had to separate out the different colors of glass - but we got to smash them ourselves in the big barrels that were used to collect them! And believe it or not, I remember Jerry Brown! He wasn't governor when we were there, but I do remember his escapades with certain vocalists!
    Now I am going to go watch the videos - how very neat.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so informative and important. and it hurts my heart to see the result of our choices.

    by the way, we are growing shrooms in our bathroom, very tasty, they are indeed the coolest natural recyclers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful post! as a scuba diver (as well as an inhabitant of this planet), this is a subject very close to my heart. I'm so glad you posted it. I also found the fact that mushrooms could be ground up and used as a natural insecticide really interesting. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A biological take on the theme--one I used to talk about back when I worked as a naturalist! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so very poignant and important. Thank you for sharing and spreading the word. Feeling something is better than feeling nothing! It is so hard to see the display of apathy on this subject. The throwing garbage out their car window at a red light kinda folks... my frustration makes me want to get out of my car, pick up the trash, follow them home and dump it on their doorstep... then I have remind myself not to be so immature. I like your ideas of being proactive (sharing knowledge, staying informed) much better :)
    On a lighter note, The mushrooms! I saw an amazing talk (online) by mycologist Paul Stamets on 6 Ways Mushrooms Can Save the World-- It was so good! He talks all about these things you are sharing too.
    I never knew fungi could be so fascinating.

    http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_stamets_on_6_ways_mushrooms_can_save_the_world.html

    thanks for sharing another great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for this post and for visiting my place.
    so what's the next weekword then ,,,?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that mushrooms are a natural recycler. I grew up in a farming area that was becoming NY/NJ's landfill. Recycling activist from then on because little me was very worried where were the farm animals going to live? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bottled water thing STILL blows my mind. Get a Brita filter if your tap water is so bad! Personally, I drink the local water whenever I go somewhere, and I always drink it at home. I understand that a lot of people don't like the taste of their water or think it's too dirty, but you can get used to it or filter it yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and taking the time to write a comment for me, I LOVE comments! I will do my very best to respond quickly and appreciate this wonderful community of good souls. Wishing you joy and blessings in the small things.